Monday, May 24, 2010

Nokia N900

Humans are said to be known for not having enough for material things—yeah, I’m one of them so I should agree. For about 2 months, I’ve been eagerly eyeing this one of the latest from Nokia’s Nseries, and I’ve spent quite sometime looking for obviously a cheaper deal (I have heard it still is around 30 thou in the Nokia Philippines store). I was almost scammed on eBay during that process, and I rightfully won the claim and got a full refund (thank you, PayPal). The seller still told me he or she shipped the item and I could either pay for it (duh, after that long process and worrisome nights?) or return it to him or her. If that’s true, then I might be getting another N900 next month. Thinking of customs charges and other fees, I don’t think I’m getting that 450 USD worth mobile. I got the refund, period.

Anyway, I got what I wanted through a local store online. I just had some problems dealing with them through the phone, but everything went smoothly as they’ve stated. Got it in a so-so price, and my budget was just enough. The package I chose included an 8 GB micro SD and shipping insurance. I was really excited to open the box since Sunday night and I kept dreaming of using it. The reviews were astounding, and as compared to Apple Iphone 3GS, it is said that this one’s better (I was also aiming for that 3GS thing, but I decided not to since I’m not a Mac person). Air21 delivered it at around 9 am something, and here are some of the initial unboxing photos (taken by my former favorite smartphone, Samsung Touchwhiz F480):

              0249Here’s the opened box and all its contents (not in particular order): N900 phone, charger (with micro USB converter), CA-101 USB data cable, headset (with extra earplugs), manual (in color and one of the thinnest Nokia manuals I’ve ever had), BL-5J battery, video-out cable, cleaning cloth and the 8 GB micro SD (meaning they’ve already opened the box before I received it! haha).    

 

So I got the phone opened and inserted the Smart SIM I’ve had for ages, removed this black plastic cover and saw its shiny shiny touch surface":

0250

0257 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then I turned it on for the first time in my hand and yeah, it was like this:

0258

0260

0252This is the back part. I liked it since it’s Blue in color (my favorite).0253

0251

0263

And so, for the next few hours, I can’t stop exploring it. :)0265

Took this photo hours and hours after. This is the cover of the box, and it’s somewhat embossed. Pretty cool.

 

 

 

 

I cannot add a detailed review here because you can see more specific and technical reviews in the net. What I achieved so far is using the stylus and avoiding my fingers to touch and touch (I was trained with my Samsung smartphone to only use my fingers since it has no stylus), connecting it with WLAN through ad hoc connection with my Acer laptop, using it with PC Suite 7, downloading apps and widgets for it through WLAN again, connecting my social networks to it, adding VoIP and IM accounts, setting up my 3 mails, watch a Youtube video through its Maemo browser, playing a full touch screen tetris game (haha), taking photos and videos, abusing the micro SD by loading it up with music and videos, using Firefox as browser there, listening to radio, synchronizing contacts with my other Nokia phone, receiving and sending files through Bluetooth, getting used with the QWERTY keypad, personalizing the phone and counting.

After long hours of spending time with it and draining its battery, I think now I’m already satisfied. Now I’m not really into the phone. Maybe one of these days I won’t be using it for a day or two. The phone hype is over. Till next year, I guess.

0 comments:

Post a Comment