Sunday, April 21, 2013

For my 400th post in my blog, I will talk about my credit card application struggles. After 3 years, I finally got a credit card-- a regular one. And it's from HSBC, a bank I least expected to transact with, ever.

I've been lamenting for so long about getting a regular credit card as I've had a fair share of declines. Ever since I got my independent contractor stint at RareJob, I always wanted a regular credit card. My mother got hers without even applying-- the one that BDO is known to distribute. After keeping an ADB of about 50 thou or so in her Passbook Savings in 2010 for several months, my mom got the pre-approved credit card. I was insanely jealous as I was the one with monthly income since September 2009. She did not even expected it.

So I've been seizing all chances to apply, showing my proof of income and it's all for nothing. I was contacted by several agents in the past too. That's when I started using Secured Credit Cards.

Surprisingly, there was this call from one agent telling me that she'd readily submit my application and I should just give copies of my valid IDs via e-mail and she'll say that my requirements are complete. I did not really mind her, because I already did this application so many times. I just forwarded her the e-mail I sent BDO when I applied recently (and was declined after a CI).

Weeks passed and suddenly, someone from HSBC called--confirming my landline number. I thought it was yet another agent fixing applications. The call was brief, but this time she included her full name and that she's really associated with HSBC.

Another week came (April 16) and after celebrating my cousin's birthday at Robinsons Galleria for lunch I checked our mailbox. There was a white envelope addressed to me with the HSBC logo on it. When I held the envelope, there seems to be a card on it. I was curious because most credit cards are mailed by couriers (LBC or others). I hurriedly opened it as soon as I entered our house. And lo and behold, it's an inactive HSBC Gold Visa with a 100 thousand peso limit. I was surprised! Even if I combine my previous credit limits (with my defunct BPI Blue Mastercard) and my current RCBC card, I will not be able to reach this limit.



Anyway I'm really glad for that agent (whoever she was). She called me on the same day I activated my card and inquired if I'd like to have a Maybank CC. Well, I refused already. I'm glad for our one successful transaction though. :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment