Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Before I talk about my Belo experience, I want to share my experiences with skincare throughout the years (before I wanted to spend this much, actually).

My Dermatological Background and History

I have been to dozens of dermatological clinics since my Elementary school days. My parents would constantly consult with a dermatologist regarding my Atopic Dermatitis, sometimes commonly called "Skin Asthma". I've toured several doctors in The Medical City and have about 5 doctors give me different creams and telling me to use Physiogel Cream and Dove without scent, only for my condition to go back everytime the weather is changing. So, I just quit treating my skin problems and focused on my face.

When I started high school, I did not get breakouts right away. It actually started when I was 3rd year in high school. I always slept late when I already had an internet connection-- one which was a dial-up and reloadable (I was a college freshman when we had a DSL Line coming from a dial-up connection for almost 3 years). So I would patiently wait for my anime music downloads to finish before I could sleep. Thus, the breakouts.

And so, again, with the help of our Medocare healthcard I was able to consult with Dermatologists around The Medical City together with my Atopic Dermatitis and my facial problems. Normally, the health card would not cover the "aesthetic" consultations like that, but the doctors were kind enough to include it with my skin problems. So for my face, I used several gels to dry up my emerging pimples, toners for my oily skin, and a special soap for my sensitive skin. All formulated by the different Dermatologists I've visited for several years and all meds for skin. My father diligently paid for it and took me to follow-up check-ups. He would often tell me that once, when he was a teenager, he had to battle with pimples and he had no money before so he ended up with craters on his face. He said that he wouldn't want me to experience the same, and as his only daughter he would do his best to keep my skin okay. I am so happy with the support he gave me (though my mom thinks it was too much since I was in high school during that time).

So, my face was as clear as it was until I went to college. It was so much stress with the academics stuff and I have to return to The Medical City again for the same things. Although, during that time I haven't tried doing the facial treatments. 

C and Diamond Peels at Stella Maris

If you refer to this post I made on March 2009, my very good friend Carlos treated me to his favorite derma clinic in Stella Maris, Pasig City. That was actually my FIRST experience for a full-blown facial with treatment. It was his treat and of course, I enjoyed it. I never thought pricking would be that hurtful for me to cry. Although I did not buy the follow-up meds nor came back for a treatment, I thought it was an instant boost to my facial features. (Thanks again, C, for introducing it to me).

Getting Pregnant and Breakouts

On my 19th year of existence in this world, I became pregnant. The first few weeks of pregnancy were bliss-- I had this sort of glow where I didn't have pimples and my skin looks so bright. But, came January 2010 when I started growing pimples on my face one by one. The bad news is, when I went to my usual Dermatologists at TMC, they wouldn't give me the usual meds. Of course, there would be effects to my baby so I only was stuck using the "lower dose" gels. I wouldn't get the usual antibacterial medicine for my large breakouts. During the last few months of my pregnancy, I really had large pimples and scars like there was no tomorrow. I got depressed and I felt so ugly. 

After I gave birth and I was over the breastfeeding, my father died also and so I was stripped of healthcard privileges. I also started using over-the-counter creams like Pond's and Olay. I had to try the Pond's Day and Night cream, but it made my breakouts worse. Olay did the same and so I had to worry more. I came back to school with a not-so-clear face though I boosted my image with a new Digiperm from Beauty Brick and Mr. Shin. For my skin, I simply used St. Ive's Apricot Scrub to at least brighten my skin somehow (and exfoliate it). I even tried using the nose packs and buying other supermarket items.


Going on Facials and Lots of Derma Clinics After Pregnancy

I became more conscious with my looks especially after I got married. Of course, I'd like to keep the interest of my husband with me. So here is a chronicle of all clinics I've been to and a little review of each one (if I remember of course, this was from 2 years ago).

  1. Dermalite- Stella Maris Maybunga, Pasig- as mentioned in a 2009 post, this was the first derma clinic I've tried in my life. After giving birth, it was also the first clinic I run to for my bad breakouts. I had to buy a promo for their Diamond Peel and come back every two weeks. However, I had a problem with their pricking. I got more scars than I wanted, and so they advised me or rather gave me a chemical peel-- Glycolic peel to be exact. When I had that treatment, unfortunately I withdrew my half of the treatments and never came back to their clinic as there were no improvements with my face. :(

  2. Slimmers World- SM Megamall- I was a regular gym member on Slimmers World around late 2010 until early 2011. I worked out together with my husband around 5 months after I gave birth. I had to try their free Diamond Peel. It was fast, without cleaning and all so I did not enjoy it. Although as of 2012, my sister-in-law gave me the rest of her treatments as she was too busy to go at SM Megamall. As of now I haven't claimed my 5 treatments care of Ate Lulu.

  3. Imperial Dermatology, Ortigas Ave.- I checked several forums like PinoyExchange and GT as I was in search of an affordable clinic near my area. After so many reviews I saw online, I gotta try the Spanish Peel of Dr. Mike Chua. What I loved about this clinic is his checkup first and also the discount (as I'm a GirlTalk member). I treated my husband to several visits and Power Peels too. I liked the fact that I could use my credit card for transactions. His meds are also cheaper than the TMC doctors. He also does the pricking and the treatment himself so you can assure yourself that it would not be horrible as regular unexperienced aestheticians would. However, due to the difficult parking at Ortigas, I had to quit going when my skin went A-OK.

  4. Let's Face It- Robinsons Galleria- I was desperate for a facial treatment late 2011 and then I suddenly had the urge to buy a Diamond Peel promo. Unfortunately, I only claimed 2 sessions out of the 3 sessions I already paid. I wasn't happy with the treatment when I changed aestheticians. I also had scars which were not removed before the next treatment. And yes, I did not come back for the 3rd treatment I availed.

  5. SkinStation- Timog Ave., Quezon City- This was the longest and the most number of pesos spent in a clinic. I bought lots of packages here: 6 Diamond Peel plus Hyal C Whitening treatment sessions, 5 Underarm laser hair removal sessions, 6 Underarm whitening treatment sessions, and only recently, 2 years unlimited Underarm laser hair removal (which, I won't be able to use cos I'm currently preggers). My mom also bought lots of treatments and products here. She also had her warts removal done. My husband had massages and facials too. In short, we spent an awful lot of time here. To date, my mom has still 1 Diamond Peel plus Hyal C Whitening facial left. We weren't really solved with the treatments, but still their service is really good.

Finally, the Belo Experience...

Belo Medical Group RX by Dr. Carlo Lozada.
Prescription for a preggy woman like me.
Plain Cleansing and Powerpeel only, to be done 2 times a week
Plus two products TOG (Tincture of Green) Soap
and Pore Minimizer.
I have been always looking at the Belo SM Megamall branch. I was always curious how it would feel to experience their more expensive services. And so as I was, again, browsing the forum GT, I read lots of raves especially with the aesthetician Naz. I had my first appointment last October. My doctor was Dr. Carlo Lozada, and I googled him and he was mentioned to have handsome looks (oh yes, it was indeed true) and nice personality. I of course filled out the patient form before the check-up (the check-up fee is waived when you avail of the treatments, but it is a mandatory step). So after assessing my face and read a short interview, he prescribed what pregnant women could only have. The plain cleansing and Powerpeel. 

My first aesthetician was Yna, she was also nice however I had several bleeding scars as soon as I got out of the clinic (and I never had the cream before leaving compared to the next visit). During my October visit, there was a Powerpeel promo. Price drop from 2800 to 2016 pesos. I enjoyed the discount only once cos when I came back for my November visit (I couldn't do the prescribed every two weeks cos I don't have much moolah) the price came back to the original one. But, I was able to snag a schedule with Naz-- the sought after aesthetician at SM Megamall Atrium branch. She was really chatty and I felt comfortable instantly. She had extracted lotsa things from my face and I did not have bleeding. Her process was really comfy and she did not hurt me as much as others did. It was the best visit ever (so far). 

My face was really (and literally) glowing after the treatment. All the dead skins are gone as I see it. If only I had more money to spare, I would really follow the twice weekly thing. The Tincture of Green soap is really nice (although it hurts the eyes) and the toner really dries up the pimples fast. Just yesterday, she texted me and I gladly scheduled another appointment. She really knows how to get to clients. I would enjoy having another treatment with her this coming December, before I fly to Hong Kong :D And I promise, when I give birth and finished my breastfeeding duties, I would have other treatments and get myself an Obagi set. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment