Friday, November 16, 2012

I actually miss writing blog posts. Since I already have finished college and currently in my "gestational period", I spend my time staying at home and doing whatever I please. As compared to my previous pregnant self (the reason why most of those emotional posts came about), I can now focus only on my pregnancy because I already achieved most things I wanted.

Today, I'm going to continue this draft of my Mac experience. I remember my 20-year old self saying "Oh, I'll never get into that Apple Bandwagon!"~ which now, I really take back. Obviously, my immediate family (the Garcias aka my in-laws) became Apple users probably 2 or 3 years ago with their mobile phones and iPads (the first generation ones). I was also kind of intrigued with it, coupled with Globe's online iPhone 4S promo with BPI Credit Card. And yes, come 2012 I purchased my first Apple item ever-- my now 8-month old iPhone 4S. I never made any posts about it until now. I loved it and I enjoyed every single thing about how I use it. My husband had his phone next, a gift from my mother-in-law. We loved iMessaging together with the rest of our immediate family members. Yes, everyone uses an iPhone.

I had the decision to buy a new PC eons ago when I sold my Sony VAIO Netbook several months back. I even sold my BlackBerry 9300 3G and Nokia N900 mobile phones in order to add to the pot. I was thinking of replacing my now 4-year old Acer TravelMate. What I loved about my Windows PC was the sentimental value and the apps I use there. I installed it with a Windows 8 Consumer Preview OS, and I loved the super fast speed when booting up. It used to be run by a Vista Home Premium Windows OS, but I was successful with the dual boot feature I recently enjoyed. I saved up enough money for a decent and powerful Windows device. 

I was hell-bent in purchasing an ASUS Ultrabook (which, by the way was Hot Pink in color) or a Samsung Ultrabook Series 7 (which my father-in-law has). I was desperate for a PINK computer, for I was attached to the idea that it's so catchy and "girly" like my previous VAIO Netbook. Much to my dismay, I cannot find a pink-colored Ultrabook aside from the ASUS one which I heard wasn't so available. I also wanted a matte-finish screen (that specification made me want a Samsung). Windows 8 came to the market, I found new hot hybrid PCs, but nothing suited the color I want, plus the matte-screen.

I found several websites helpful with my quest to the perfect Mac. I initially wanted the same Macbook Pro as Karl or the lightweight Macbook Air (since I'm currently preggers and I travel often, I wanted a light one as well). I wasn't convinced with the speed of the Macbook Air though, but then I thought it was the best choice for the specs I want:

1. Lightweight
2. Thin
3. No optical drive (I don't use DVDs anymore!)

But, it wasn't PINK and it has a glossy finish. I was taken aback. Should I spend thousands of pesos when it's not worth it? So I tried to stop myself from purchasing nor searching the net cos I'll have ideas again. However, after going back to PhilMUG-- a popular forum about Apple stuff, seeing my friend Karl's Macbook Pro when I visited him in Davao and just talking to my Japanese students about gadgets, I was convinced: I'm getting a Mac soon.

Alas, the new Mac items came into being about late 2012 (or the 4th quarter), which included the much awaited iPhone 5, iPad Mini, and the iPod Touch latest generation (this I don't know). And yes, that's the time where I saw the notebook I wanted: this Macbook Pro 13 inch with Retina Display. I looked at the Apple Store in PH, and wow. It's a whopping 82,990 PHP. I know I have that money, but it's way too much. The ASUS PC I wanted was about 73,000 PHP. So I got an idea of buying the Macbook on my trip to Hong Kong because it's way cheaper in Hong Kong Apple Store.

Not until PhilMUG forumers commented on my post, and told me that it's not worth it to get it from a foreign country--given the thing about customs, warranty, and so on. They suggested I contact a forumer named Charlie. He is just the owner of a popular premium reseller Beyond the Box (Digital Hub in some places). So I emailed him as advised by PhilMUGers, and voila. I got a discounted price amounting to 73,800 PHP (for a cash purchase). Not bad. Just about the money I wanted to spend on a Windows PC.

Next thing was getting my moolah from my bank and going to their Robinsons Branch. And on the fated day of November 5, 2012, I bought my very first Mac. :)




I really knew it's worth the wait (though I know Apple will come up again with a cheaper and more advanced version a few months from now) for me to realize the awesomeness of Mac. I am certainly now a fan. I will miss using Windows too, but I still have lots of opportunities to access it given that in our house there are 3 Windows laptops and 1 desktop PC. I did not regret spending for this. Probably, my first and last splurge for this phase in my life (before I go and spend all my money for my beloved kids and family). It's useful for my online job and I am now a happy user. Nothing beats happiness and fulfilment.

0 comments:

Post a Comment