Friday, May 31, 2013

Welcome Our Baby Robert!

Hello, hello! It's been a week since I gave birth. I wanted to share in my blog how happy and how difficult it was to give birth... the second time around! :)

I gave birth last May 22 at 11:21 AM via NSD (normal spontaneous delivery). Everything happened just like 3 years ago (2010) when I gave birth to our firstborn Jethro. It was the same Wednesday night, and water leaked around the same time -- 1 AM. But this time, I was able to be calm and cool about it. I even put on my lipstick and some mascara :)) The same thing happened, we arrived at The Medical City 10 minutes after (there is no heavy traffic in Ortigas Ave. at midnight, luckily it happened around the same time like before). Before that, my mom and hubby were even able to order some food at Jollibee Drive Thru. So upon arriving at the hospital, I was able to still walk to the prelabor room as my only concern was amniotic fluid (AF) leak. Anyways, as soon as I got there, I was able to FB post to my mommy GT friends what's happening to me at that moment. The litmus test was done to check if it was indeed my AF, and it was. My contractions were irregular so they opted to do an "augmentation" (or induction of labor) so that my labor would progress further. And after a few minutes, I was wheeled to the labor room.

This is the fetal monitor. It measures baby's hearbeat, my contractions, along with baby's movements

























The labor room doc did not proceed in giving me the oxytocin (hormone) in my IV yet as they noticed I was starting to have regular moderate contractions. I remained like that for about 6 hours, they kept on monitoring my cervix in terms of the measurement in centimeters by doing the internal examination (IE). Initially when I got to the prelabor room, I'm still 2cm and 60% effaced, after a few hours I got to 3cm and 70% effaced, forward to 7AM, I'm around 4cm and 80% effaced. They called my anesthesiologist as I was really feeling the labor pains. My epidural was put on around 8:30AM, and we have to wait until 10AM that my OB came, had my next IE and shocking as it was, it progressed to 8cm and 90% effaced. Baby was almost there! My pains are worsening even though they added more anesthesia because of the baby's head almost popping out of me. A few minutes later, my OB pronounced that I'm ready to give birth. 10cm, fully dilated cervix. I was wheeled to the delivery room ASAP.
Daddy took this shot in our room as soon as we're in

My delivery room experience wasn't as fun as my last time, I was in so much pain and then suddenly the anesthesia worked little by little. I can't feel a thing anymore, though there's little contraction pain that I feel. Whenever it happens, my doctors would tell me to "push", coaching me every 10-second count. 4 other contractions came and I pushed while my anesthesiologist finally helped me in pushing my baby... and at 11:21 AM, Robert came to this world at 6 pounds 7 ounces, measuring 49 centimeters. We did the "Unang Yakap" and latching so we could breastfeed as early as a few hours after labor. After that, they attached the Hugs and Kisses thing that would alarm every time my baby is near me or away from me. It's something new from The Medical City, to enable the mom and baby bonding and also to prevent baby thefts.

Welcome to the family, Robert!
The next stop was the recovery room. I was the only one there as the two other women in the labor room with me still haven't progressed with their labor. Afterwards, my baby came in, they had to keep us latching together as it is beneficial for breastfeeding, again. Then they moved me to another recovery room as we booked the superior room for our stay. My husband was allowed to come in, wearing a scrub suit and hairnet so as to keep sterility. He stayed with me and our baby for about an hour until we are both ready to go to our room. My son Jethro and my mom were both anxiously waiting for Robert's arrival. It was such a happy day for all of us. :)


Proud breastfeeding mommy! I'm wearing a Belly Maternity top
and a nursing bra from Tupperware brands. 







After staying in the hospital for 2 and a half days, we were finally discharged. I was really feeling better on day 3. And yes, up to now I'm still exclusively breastfeeding my 9-day old son :D




0 comments:

Post a Comment