Saturday, April 25, 2009

Math, Science, Beauty

It’s been a long, long time since my last blog post. And I am writing this afternoon for the sake of a new April post. As you can see, I am more active in writing during the first two months of the year and also during semestral breaks. Right now, I’m attending summer classes and because of it, I’m having a great time.

I think I have already said that I liked STS more than any subject that I’ve taken so far. It’s been enlightening, informative, and at the same time entertaining to me. Not that the speakers were simply funny, but they were among the best, or the best in their field of specialization. Most of our speakers or lecturers were college deans and department heads, or secretaries of great colleges in our university. They all have something interesting to share, and at times even though their topic is non-existent in a teenager’s life or not yet given much importance, it really gets us hooked into it.

For instance, the other day, the lecture was about Math and Beauty. Well, we can’t blame why almost everyone in our class dislikes the subject math. We’ve been either traumatized during high school or earlier in our college life (Math 17 and the Math series especially for CS and Eng’g students). But our lecturer proved that the existence of beauty is basically including math and also math is really beautiful. All nature could either have the Goldens: Golden Ratio, Rectangle, Triangle, or the hailed Fibonacci sequence. Da Vinci Code fans could totally relate to these. Polygons, like the hexagon, is also found in several natural sceneries. It is still debatable if God really is the ultimate mathematician since He created everything around us. Is math really created by a person or was it just discovered by someone? Still, I cannot confidently answer that question. What I am sure of is that Math is definitely everywhere and it could not be taken away by anything nor anyone.

0 comments:

Post a Comment