Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Happy Hundredth Birthday, UP!!

This is really the IT!

Earlier this morning, there was a heavy traffic jam inside the campus. The jeepney (Katipunan) I was riding moved like a turtle amidst the other vehicles. Inside the jeep, the ambiance is so humid. Everyone inside the jeep almost tapped their foot impatiently. Even before going in the campus premises, there's traffic, and it irks the rest of us that even inside the campus there is traffic.

Upon drifting at the corner along Yakal going to the gym, there's more of the traffic jam. Most of the passengers went off already and walked the road leading to AS and FC. I tried my best to text my report partner Sheedee to ask her if Prof Argete has arrived the classroom; however, the Globe service seemed to encounter technical difficulties again. I sighed in exasperation as the jeep moved slowly. Manong driver finally told us that the Ylanan road is closed that's why the three of us left must go and walk alongside the other people. And so we did.

As I walked, I noticed that a lot of people were gathered in front of Quezon Hall. Luckily, the 8:30 AM program hasn't started. I was able to sing the National Anthem with my fellow UP people and after that the band also played "UP Naming Mahal". The sun shone so brightly as I contacted my mom telling her that I won't go to Env Sci 1 anymore since it's almost 9 and Prof Argete must've locked the door of Room 1 already. She insisted that I still should come, so I walked away the crowd. Sheedee's life saving SMS told me that our class was canceled. I almost jumped in joy as I returned to the crowd, nearer the Oblation.

My mom finally called me after I send an SMS telling her that Sheedee told me we have no class this morning. She asked me to forward the SMS. I told her I ran out of load since I called her. She gave up, and she hung up. The program continued. It was already after UP President Emerlinda Roman's speech, which included that she had just received the SMS about the 20,000 Php Centennial bonus for UP workers approved by the DBM and signed by the President of the Philippines herself accordingly. There was a loud cheer by the people. After her speech was the USC's oath taking with Chancellor Sergio Cao. After that was the launching of the UP Centennial Postage stamps. I was truly impressed that they will have this stamp circulated everywhere.

Finally, it's time for the balloon release. Everyone in the scene carries either a red or green balloon (or was it maroon?). Then the emcee said he'll count to 100 and that after his counting, everyone releases their balloons. I laughed when he started counting at 10, then 20, 30, until he and everyone who counted with him reached 100. The balloons were released and fireworks (err was it fireworks in the morning? or just explosive sounds?) sounded. The balloons flew westward, blown by the early morning wind. Everyone clapped in unison. The band played again, and truly it was a happy celebration.

The emcee announced that our Student Council prepared something (was it food?) at Vinzon's Hall. Everyone walked accordingly. I joined the other people since I can't seem to find Emma, my friend. After sometime, I arrived AS and went to Casaa immediately. I was reloaded (my mobile's load) and then I met Emma. Afterwards, here I am right now at Isko internet shop after a delectable meal at Rodic's.

What else could I narrate? I plan to write something for UP on my 100th post here at Friendster Blogs. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment