Saturday, January 19, 2013

Managing Time

I work at my own time because I work part-time for RareJob, an online English school for Japanese people. I started this "racket" when I was a junior in college. Before, this company only accepts students from University of the Philippines (regardless of the campus). I loved the exclusivity because the community is purely from my alma mater. We share something in common. And some of my co-workers are from my college and campus. We can share woes and experiences as independent contractors.

However, 2011 came and they started accepting students from universities and colleges all over the Philippines (and all over the world). The number of students were too much that they have to recruit more people to join the pool of tutors from UP. The competition of course became higher among tutors and yes, it's more difficult to have more students from then on.

Anyway, my topic isn't really about the evolution of RareJob, but about time management. I love playing time management games on PC because it's exciting. And in real life, it's not fun and exciting at all. It is so stressful. It starts when I plan a schedule for my work and suddenly, there is an upcoming event with mostly family and sometimes, friends. The thing about cancelling my work schedule is easy--if and only if, I cancel it 2 days ahead. But some family members or friends make an announcement 1 day before. When that happens, I become nuts.

I am addicted to planning ahead. I plan everything I do-- from my daily rituals to my activities 2 weeks from now. My basic short-term planning is usually 2 weeks. But it could actually go as far as a month to a year. I love it when everything goes well according to my plans. But yeah, anything could ruin something right? And something unexpected always happens in the long run.

I do not give up on planning. I have 2 different planners for writing, one is something "stay-on-my-table" kind of planner like the Starbucks 2013 Planner I got this year. The other is the "on-the-go" kind of planner which I always buy at National Bookstore. It's compact, slim, and lightweight--perfect in my small bag or purse. The good thing about it is that I could edit it anytime.

The other planner and management tool is my iPhone. The iCloud feature for Reminders and Calendar apps work well with my Macbook Pro, so now I could see the alerts simultaneously on both devices. I always update the app for stuff I plan to do, or my schedule for the day. Before, I used the Calendar only but the Reminders app is like a good to-do list which is so easy to utilize (and the check boxes are great too!). 

I don't really know how to end this post, but I would like to say I'm more organized than before :D

0 comments:

Post a Comment